Barrell Bourbon Batch 024 is a marriage of high rye Bourbons ranging in age from 9 to 15 years old. The 9, 10, and 13-year-old barrels were chosen for their peppery assertiveness, making this "spice box" marriage wonderfully robust yet a little rough around the edges. We refined the blend by adding in citrus forward, lower proof, 15-year-old barrels bit by bit, ensuring that the rye forward base would continue to shine, while delivering a lush mouthfeel.
• A blend of straight Bourbon Whiskeys
• Distilled and aged in Tennessee, Kentucky and Indiana
• Selection of 9, 10, 13, and 15-year-old barrels
• Aged in American white oak barrels
• Bottled in Kentucky
A gentle nose balancing blonde tobacco, pear, and coffee ice cream belies an intense palate of cola and spice. Adding water creates a decadently syrupy texture while highlighting notes of musky passionfruit and forest floor.
• Appearance: Molasses fading to ochre, with a bright, brassy rim.
• Nose: Opens with vernal florals: apple blossom, blonde tobacco and spruce tip. These lead naturally into estival fruits: green banana, ripe pear, lychee and cherry. Prickly autumnal mulling spices and wintergreen lend complexity, as a sweet, wintery foundation is laid by pumpkin pie and coffee ice cream.
• Palate: Chocolate ganache is balanced by tart white grapefruit orange bitters, mineral slate and salt, and savory dried porcini mushrooms, with a huge breadth of flavor. It’s notably spicy, showcasing ginger, cardamom, and black pepper. Cola is present with notes of rosemary, leather, and oak. Sandy tannin and heat keep the relatively sweet palate in check.
• Finish: Creamy and sweet, maple cheesecake and hefeweizen start off. While gentler than the rollercoaster of a palate, there’s still plenty of complexity provided by cherry cordial, Aperol, and clove. It fades on red pepper flake and table salt.
With a few drops of spring water
The nose gets muskier, on aromas of overripe passionfruit, marigold and propolis. The palate, too, feels wilder and more complex, tasting of sweet vermouth, soy sauce, forest floor and pipe smoke.